Initial Coin Offerings
Initial coin offerings are proxy equity fundraising structure that allows entrepeneurs to raise crypto assets in a common enterprise outside of existing securities regulation. Initial coin offerings are an example of regulatory-arbitrage of security regulation.
Initial coin offerings are illegal in the United States.
See also security and regulatory arbitrage.
- Cornish, Chloe, and Richard Waters. 2018. ‘Silicon Valley Investors Line up to Back Telegram ICO’. Financial Times, January. https://www.ft.com/content/790d9506-0175-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5.
- Kharif, Olga. 2018. ‘Half of ICOs Die Within Four Months After Token Sales Finalized’. Bloomberg.Com. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-09/half-of-icos-die-within-four-months-after-token-sales-finalized.
- Livni, Ephrat, and Andrew Ross Sorkin. 2021. ‘The Dramatic Crash of a Buzzy Cryptocurrency Raises Eyebrows’. The New York Times, 28 June 2021, sec. Business. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/business/dealbook/icp-cryptocurrency-crash.html.
- Andrés, Pablo de, David Arroyo, Ricardo Correia, and Alvaro Rezola. 2022. ‘Challenges of the Market for Initial Coin Offerings’. International Review of Financial Analysis 79: 101966. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2021.101966.
- Burilov, Vlad. 2019. ‘Regulation of Crypto Tokens and Initial Coin Offerings in the EU: De Lege Lata and de Lege Ferenda’. European Journal of Comparative Law and Governance 6 (2): 146–86. https://doi.org/10.1163/22134514-00602003.
- Hofman, Darra, Quinn DuPont, Angela Walch, and Ivan Beschastnikh. 2021. ‘Blockchain Governance: De Facto (x)or Designed?’ In Building Decentralized Trust, 21–33. x. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-54414-0_2.
- Walch, Angela. 2019a. ‘In Code (Rs) We Trust: Software Developers as Fiduciaries in Public Blockchains’.
- ———. 2019b. ‘Software Developers as Fiduciaries in Public Blockchains’. Regulating Blockchain. Techno-Social and Legal Challenges, Ed. by Philipp Hacker, Ioannis Lianos, Georgios Dimitropoulos & Stefan Eich, Oxford University Press, 2019. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3203198.
- Cumming, Douglas J., Sofia Johan, and Anshum Pant. 2019. ‘Regulation of the Crypto-Economy: Managing Risks, Challenges, and Regulatory Uncertainty’. Journal of Risk and Financial Management 12 (3): 126. https://doi.org/10.3390/jrfm12030126.
- Davis, Mark and DavisBruce. 2021. Crowdfunding and the Democratization of Finance. Policy Press. https://bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/crowdfunding-and-the-democratization-of-finance.
- Kelly, Jemima. 2019. ‘The ICO Whose Team Members Are Literally Cartoon Characters’. Financial Times. Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/57805b32-0bbe-34cb-940c-66cdd1aec5e2.
- Maddox, Alexia, and Luke J Heemsbergen. 2021. ‘Digging in Crypto-Communities’ Future-Making: From Dark to Doge’. M/C Journal 24 (2 SE-). https://doi.org/10.5204/mcj.2755.