A loose marketing term for alleged blockchain solutions that remove token incentives from the consensus algorithm.
Permissioned blockchains have been critized as being a rebranding of existing distributed databases or that they offer no advantages over traditional relational database solutions such as Microsoft SQL Server.
- Schneier, Bruce. 2019. ‘There’s No Good Reason to Trust Blockchain Technology’. Wired Magazine. https://www.wired.com/story/theres-no-good-reason-to-trust-blockchain-technology/.
- Rosenthal, David. n.d. ‘Stanford Lecture on Cryptocurrency’. Accessed 2 March 2022. https://blog.dshr.org/2022/02/ee380-talk.html.
- Jeffries, Adrianne. 2018. ‘Blockchain Is Meaningless’. The Verge 7: 2018. https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/7/17091766/blockchain-bitcoin-ethereum-cryptocurrency-meaning.
- Stinchcombe, Kai. 2017. ‘Ten Years In, Nobody Has Come Up With a Use for Blockchain’. Hackernoon. 22 December 2017. https://hackernoon.com/ten-years-in-nobody-has-come-up-with-a-use-case-for-blockchain-ee98c180100.
- Orlowski, A. 2018. ‘Blockchain Study Finds 0.00% Success Rate and Vendors Don’t Call Back When Asked for Evidence’. The Register. https://www.theregister.com/2018/11/30/blockchain_study_finds_0_per_cent_success_rate/.
- Plant, Luke. 2022. ‘The Technological Case against Bitcoin and Blockchain’. Luke Plant’s Home Page. 5 March 2022. https://lukeplant.me.uk/blog/posts/the-technological-case-against-bitcoin-and-blockchain/.
- Diehl, Stephen. 2021. ‘Blockchainism’. 11 December 2021. https://www.stephendiehl.com/blog/blockchainism.html.
- Weaver, Nicholas. 2018. Blockchains and Cryptocurrencies: Burn It With Fire. Berkeley School of Information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHab0dNnj4.
- White, Molly. 2022a. ‘Blockchain-Based Systems Are Not What They Say They Are’. Molly White (blog). 9 January 2022. https://blog.mollywhite.net/blockchains-are-not-what-they-say/.