The Aspirations and Claims of Crypto & Web3
Explore crypto and "web3" in terms of the claims made about it. These subclaims fall into six categories about different aspects of either technical, financial or political reconfiguration projects.
- Is bitcoin a currency?
- Are crypto assets a risk to the dollar?
- What type of asset is a crypto token?
- How do we value a crypto token?
- Are crypto assets a systemic risk to the economy?
- Are crypto assets a bubble?
- Are crypto assets a form of gambling?
- Are crypto tokens an inflation hedge?
- Is private money a desirable system?
- Is bitcoin compataible with ESG investing?
Better Society / Financial Inclusion
- What consumer protections exist for crypto assets?
- Are crypto assets a form of predatory inclusion?
- Is crypto a solution for the unbanked?
- Is crypto providing faster payment rails or better remittance services?
- Are NFTs good for artists?
- What is the narrative economics of crypto assets?
- Are crypto assets legal?
- Are crypto tokens a negative-sum investment?
- Why do people invest in crypto tokens?
- Is an unregulated transnational payment rail even desirable?
- Are crypto tokens a hedge against the "debasement" of the dollar?
- Can I raise money for my non-profit using crypto tokens?
- Can I do a crowdfunded equity raise for my company using crypto tokens?
Solving Public Goods Problems
- Is bitcoin mining harmful to the environment?
- Is crypto bringing about the "financialization of everything"?
- Is crypto a giant misallocation of resources with an enormous opportunity cost?
- Is the underlying technology of "blockchain" useful for non-monetary purposes?
- Is web3 even a well-defined term?
- Is web3 decentralized?
- Is web3 the next generation of the internet?
- Is web3 a means to dismantle the American tech hegemony?
- Is web3 a means to rebuild the global financial system?
- Are crypto tokens a means to accelerate the collapse of capitalism?