Money laundering is a criminal activity in which the provenance of money associated with a crime are obscured by passing the funds through legitimate businesses to obscure their origin.
Crypto assets are used as a vehicle for money laundering.
- Orcutt, Mike. 2020. ‘This Is How North Korea Uses Cutting-Edge Crypto Money Laundering to Steal Millions’. MIT Technology Review. MIT Technology Review. http://www.technologyreview.com/2020/03/05/916688/north-korean-hackers-cryptocurrency-money-laundering/.
- Buttigieg, Christopher P., Christos Efthymiopoulos, Abigail Attard, and Samantha Cuyle. 2019. ‘Anti-Money Laundering Regulation of Crypto Assets in Europe’s Smallest Member State’. Law and Financial Markets Review 13 (4): 211–27. https://doi.org/10.1080/17521440.2019.1663996.
- Fanusie, Yaya, and Tom Robinson. 2018. ‘Bitcoin Laundering: An Analysis of Illicit Flows into Digital Currency Services’. Center on Sanctions and Illicit Finance Memorandum, January.
- Feinstein, Brian D., and Kevin Werbach. 2020. ‘The Impact of Cryptocurrency Regulation on Trading Markets’. SSRN Electronic Journal 7 (1): 48–99. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3649475.
- Ferreira, Agata. 2021. ‘The Curious Case of Stablecoins—Balancing Risks and Rewards?’ Journal of International Economic Law 24 (4): 755–78. https://doi.org/10.1093/jiel/jgab036.
- Fletcher, Emily, Charles Larkin, and Shaen Corbet. 2021. ‘Countering Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing: A Case for Bitcoin Regulation’. Research in International Business and Finance 56 (January): 101387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2021.101387.
- Miscione, Gianluca, and Donncha Kavanagh. 2015. ‘Bitcoin and the Blockchain: A Coup d’Etat in Digital Heterotopia?’ SSRN Electronic Journal, no. 2006: 1–27. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2624922.
- Rae, Shaela W, and Lorraine Mastersmith. 2019. ‘Crypto Asset Trading in Canada: Entering a New Era of Regulation’. Banking & Finance Law Review 35 (1): 153–85.
- Renwick, Robin, and Rob Gleasure. 2021. ‘Those Who Control the Code Control the Rules: How Different Perspectives of Privacy Are Being Written into the Code of Blockchain Systems’. Journal of Information Technology 36 (1): 16–38. https://doi.org/10.1177/0268396220944406.